For us, we only have one 100-level course (general psyc).  At the
200-level we have our year of methods and a number of survey courses
(social, I/O, psyc and law, and like that).  The 300-level courses all
have labs (data collection, analysis, writing, presenting) and/or major
writing projects and all require that year of methods as pre-req.  Our
400-level courses are independent research courses (in which students do
their own research projects; the pre-req for those is a B in Methods
II), and a "capstone" (history and systems), which right now needs some
work.  It's intended to be synthetic and help the student draw together
his or her experiences, but isn't quite doing that yet.

The difference between 200- and 300-level courses is depth and rigor.
The 200s we leave open to those who have not yet had methods, and
although there are often small projects in there, they're not real lab
courses as they are at the 300 level.  The 300-level courses that don't
have labs require a major project, e.g., in tests & measures, developing
and assessing an instrument's reliability and validity, and writing it
up and presenting on it.

You can be a little passive in a 200-level course; not so in the 300s:
you're in the trenches in those classes.  (Of course, our typical
300-level class size is 10, so we can do that.)

Marc Carter
Associate Professor and Chair
Department of Psychology
------
"There is no power for change greater than a community discovering what
it cares about."
--
Margaret Wheatley