Hi all

I am teaching Sensation and Perception for the first time and have a
question regarding an upcoming lecture.

I have completed the visual system and made some strong points about
visual dominance (thanks in part to a clever pair of prism goggles
generously provided by Don McBurney).

As I review the McGurk effect, I am wondering why visual dominance doesn't
apply here.  Listeners are shown a person whose lips are saying "ga", the
audio plays "ba", but they report hearing "da".

Goldstein (2007) and Sekuler & Blake (2002) explain this effect by saying
that visual information has a strong effect on what we hear.

I am wondering why vision does not override the auditory cues when there
is conflicting information - as it does for other modalities.

Can anyone help provide a more detailed explanation or point me toward a
source?

Thanks in advance!
Sybil

Sybil Streeter