Michael Britt wrote about my suggestion re the scene from "It's a Wonderful
Life":
>I don't think "George" was teasing "Mary" in this scene,
>but your explanation as to what might be going on this
>scene from the movie is, I have to admit, more parsimonious
>than mine.

Truth to tell, it's too long since I saw the film to say much about the
scene in question, but the scenario from the "Times" article was too good
not to make the link!

But from Michael's description my first thought was that George's initial
behaviour could be put down to nervousness. (Some young people in that kind
of situation shy away from revealing their true feelings, presumably to
avoid possible rejection.)

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
http://www.esterson.org

Re: [tips] It's A Wonderful Freudian Life
Michael Britt
Wed, 10 Dec 2008 09:53:41 -0800
Very interesting article Allen.  I don't think "George" was teasing "Mary"
in this scene, but your explanation as to what might be going on this
scene from the movie is, I have to admit, more parsimonious than mine.

What the article says about teasing vs. bullying is really quite
interesting.  Excellent points.

Michael