Michael Britt first made this comment about
 "It's a Wonderful Life":

> Okay, how's this for Reaction Formation: remember the scene
> where George goes to Mary's house (before they are married)?
> We know he's in love with Mary but at first he pretends not to
> care for her.  In fact, he's even a little bit rude to her.  Then they
> get that telephone call (from that rich character whose name
> I forget) and by the end of the call Mary and George are kissing.

to which Allen Esterson contributed:

> But from Michael's description my first thought was that George's initial
> behaviour could be put down to nervousness. (Some young people in that kind
> of situation shy away from revealing their true feelings, presumably to
> avoid possible rejection.)

And to which I demur:

Such a scenario has little to do either with reaction formation  or
reality. It's a well-worn literary device, standard fare in countless
books and films that the hero and heroine first can't stand each other,
and then they can (and how!). Cases in point:  _Pride and Prejudice_,
_Anne of Green Gables_ and, of course, _The African Queen_.

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University      e-mail:  sbl...@ubishops.ca
2600 College St.
Sherbrooke QC  J1M 1Z7
Canada

Subscribe to discussion list (TIPS) for the teaching of
psychology at http://flightline.highline.edu/sfrantz/tips/