The respected German science journal Max Planck Forschung wanted a cover
illustration for its special issue on China, and selected some elegant
Chinese calligraphy of what they thought was a classical poem.

You can admire it at:

http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/shang_sandhaus/chinese-poem_98342t.jpg

Question: What did their illustration really say?

One translation I picked off the web goes like this:

We paid handsomely to hire Manager KK and Camay full time;
They personally present young and beautiful girls;
Northern beauties in million swaying poses;
Young housewives of fiery figures;
All bewitching, seductive and are here on board today.

In other words, it's an advertisement for a strip joint or wh*re-house.

Oops! The on-line image has now been replaced with the title of a book by
a 17th century Catholic priest.

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University      e-mail:  sbl...@ubishops.ca
2600 College St.
Sherbrooke QC  J1M 1Z7
Canada

Subscribe to discussion list (TIPS) for the teaching of
psychology at http://flightline.highline.edu/sfrantz/tips/