There are various bonferroni procedures you can use if you google them. In one
such procedure (darn, the name escapes me!) you simply do the number of
post-hoc tests you want as t-tests and then rank order by p-values. You then
divide alpha by the total number of comparisons and multiple times the rank
order for the critical p. As soon as you fair to exceed critical p you stop and
nothing else is considered significant.

For example, let's say you are interested in three specific comparisons, you do
the t-tests and get the following p-values: .010, .040, .045.

If .05 is normally the accepted critical p-value and it is the one you want to
use, then you would use the three critical values for comparison to the
obtained p-values as (.05/3)*1 = .017. OK, .010 is less than that so the first
comparison is considered significant. Next you'd go to (.05/3)*2 = .033 and
since you obtained .040 you now reject that one all subsequent comparisons are
nonsigificiant. So you don't need the last comparison, which would have given
you a comparison of .05. So by controlling for the increased probabiilty of
incorrectly finding a significant difference where it is not likely to exist
you have now rejected 2 out of the 3 comparisons that you might otherwise have
accepted.

There really is a name for this procedure but I'm having an old-timer's
moment....it will come to me eventually.

Of course, all of this presumes you are wedded to the theoretical ideas that
underlie traditional significance testing.

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology
University of San Diego