On 17 Jan 2009, Christopher D. Green wrote, concerning the TIPS campaign
to indict Dr. Gupta for crimes against science:

Only immediately after saying "I saw many people using facilitated
communication, or FC, effectively in various ways." And immediately
before saying "For sure, it is amazing to hear the thoughts of people..."
Doesn't sound very skeptical to me. Instead, it sounds very much like the
fake debate junk that we get from the media about creationism, climate
change (and everything else that will make more money pitched as a
"controversy" than as a long-since settled scientific matter).

I say:

Well, I've never heard of creationists laying out the criticisms of the
evolutionists quite as clearly as Gupta did of the criticisms of FC. The
accusations against him are said to be supported by documents at four
different urls. In fact, most of this material is irrelevant to the
accusation. If what Chris has quoted above is the worst he can come up
with, and bearing in mind the qualifying statements I also quoted, I
think I'm justified in saying this is pretty mild stuff as advocacy goes.

Let's consider what real advocacy might look like.  Our evil-twin Gupta
(remember, this is fantasy) might have said:

 "FC is a wonderful advance in therapy for autism, ranking with the
discovery of insulin to treat diabetes. I will devote my life to ensuring
that no child who needs this remarkably effective treatment goes without
it. To that end, I am seeking funds for a foundation to cure autism based
on FC, and will host a telethon on NBC for that purpose".

But he said a lot less than that. I think it's also fair to note that as
bad nominations go, Gupta is pretty small stuff compared to what your
departing prez tried (and got) confirmed. \

And actually, I think the office of Surgeon-General sounds a lot like
that of our Governor-General (note the hyphenation in the job
description, which is typical). Both are mostly ceremonial public
relations jobs. And it cannot be denied that Dr. Gupta is very cute,
allegedly one of the sexiest men on earth. Perhaps the Americans thought
they had to nominate someone to compete with our Governor-General,
Michaƫlle Jean, who is quite the babe herself (see
http://tinyurl.com/956vg5 )

Chris: I wasn't able to include > marks to indicate quotes from you
probably because you sent your message in HTML, and turning it off messed
up the formatting. Perhaps you [and the rest of you] might consider
sending in plain text? Pretty please? And don't blame me if the
formatting of this message is screwy.

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University      e-mail:  sbl...@ubishops.ca
2600 College St.
Sherbrooke QC  J1M 1Z7
Canada

Subscribe to discussion list (TIPS) for the teaching of
psychology at http://flightline.highline.edu/sfrantz/tips/