One of the subtle things that some teachers do to reinforce such
beliefs is "taking off points" when grading exam questions. I remind
students that they come into the exam with zero points and that they
earn/accumulate credit with good answers. That is, you'll never see
"-3" or "-5" on my exams; not because I'm avoiding "negativity" or
anything, but because it makes no sense if you start from zero. I feel
like I have had some success in starting to change the mind-set by
doing this. It's not as subtle as it seems.

On Feb 18, 2009, at 10:40 AM, Mike Palij wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 05:36:16 -0800, Christopher D. Green wrote:
>> According to a UC Irvine report covered by the NYT today, about one
>> third of students expect B's just for attending lectures, and 40
>> percent
>> believe they earn B's by doing required reading.
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/18/education/18college.html?_r=2
>>
>> If I had only known...
>
> There are some things that are unclear here.  Although the article
> seems to suggest these expectations are based on student's experiences
> in K-12, I have to wonder what do the syllabi for courses they take
> say about how the final course grade is calculated.  Consider, if the
> final course grade is based on a 1-100 point scale with "thresholds"
> for different letter grades, then how can such expectations be
> maintained
> if the student is told this is how the final course grade is
> constituted:
>
> 10% - Attendance, participation, and homework
> 20% - Exam #1
> 20% - Exam #2
> 30% - Final Exam  (cumulative)
> 20% - Papers: 2 Papers (about 10 pages each; 10% each)
>
> If one lays out the components of the final grade, I know
> that a student may still hold unrealistic beliefs ("but I always
> showed up for class, how could I fail?") but the instructor can
> point out how and why the beliefs are unrealistic ("attendance
> at best counts less than 10% of the final course grade").
>
> So, are students' expectations unrealistic because they are
> "delusional" or carrying over beliefs from high school or is it due
> to the lack of specificity that some professors have in identifying
> how a course grade is determined (i.e., the point contribution of
> specific activities)?
>
> -Mike Palij
> New York University
> m...@nyu.edu
>

> ---
> To make changes to your subscription contact:
>
> Bill Southerly (bsouthe...@frostburg.edu)

Steven M. Specht, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology
Chair, Department of Psychology
Utica College
Utica, NY 13502
(315) 792-3171

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of
comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and
controversy."
Martin Luther King Jr.