We are talking about Herrnstein's Matching Law in my Theories of Learning class
this week and as I was in the restroom, I started contemplating the fact that
whenever two rolls are equally available, they dwindle at approximately the
same rate. Of course, that defeats the purpose of two rolls which is so you can
use up one and then use the back up until the janitor can re-stock the other
roll. Some toilet roll racks have been designed to actively thwart this
tendency by making it so the new roll doesn't drop into place until the old one
is used up and removed.

In those situations where both are always available, I wonder if this is an
example of the Matching Law in which the number responses made to each choice
will match the work required to achieve the reinforcement. Therefore, if both
require the same amount of work, you would expect both rolls to be depleted at
a similar rate. If one was more difficult to obtain (or contained a lower
quality of toilet paper), I wonder if matching would still hold (the degree to
which one was superior or easier to access would match the rate at which it was
used) or if people would just use the easier to access or the superior quality
until it ran out and then switch to the other one?

Rick

Dr. Rick Froman, Chair
Division of Humanities and Social Sciences Box 3055
x7295
rfro...@jbu.edu
http://tinyurl.com/DrFroman

Proverbs 14:15 "A simple man believes anything, but a prudent man gives thought
to his steps."