What a beautiful example of science at work!  An unstructured
observation (in the bathroom) linked to prior research leads eventually
to an empirical question and a test of competing ideas.  I hope no one
objects to me using this example in my classes.  Thanks.

Jon

===============
Jon Mueller
Professor of Psychology
North Central College
30 N. Brainard St.
Naperville, IL 60540
voice: (630)-637-5329
fax: (630)-637-5121
jfmuel...@noctrl.edu
http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu (
http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/ )

>>> Rick Froman <rfro...@jbu.edu> 3/4/2009 1:34 PM >>>

We are talking about Herrnstein*s Matching Law in my Theories of
Learning class this week and as I was in the restroom, I started
contemplating the fact that whenever two rolls are equally available,
they dwindle at approximately the same rate. Of course, that defeats the
purpose of two rolls which is so you can use up one and then use the
back up until the janitor can re-stock the other roll. Some toilet roll
racks have been designed to actively thwart this tendency by making it
so the new roll doesn*t drop into place until the old one is used up and
removed.

In those situations where both are always available, I wonder if this
is an example of the Matching Law in which the number responses made to
each choice will match the work required to achieve the reinforcement.
Therefore, if both require the same amount of work, you would expect
both rolls to be depleted at a similar rate. If one was more difficult
to obtain (or contained a lower quality of toilet paper), I wonder if
matching would still hold (the degree to which one was superior or
easier to access would match the rate at which it was used) or if people
would just use the easier to access or the superior quality until it ran
out and then switch to the other one?

Rick

Dr. Rick Froman, Chair
Division of Humanities and Social Sciences Box 3055
x7295
rfro...@jbu.edu
http://tinyurl.com/DrFroman

Proverbs 14:15 "A simple man believes anything, but a prudent man gives
thought to his steps."