Alright!
That was quite lengthy :)

I wouldn't mind being there spirit guide though--it might be a hoot: naked
in sweat lodges, and... oh wait, maybe not such a good idea, I'm not in as
good a shape as I used to be!

My comment about administration was tongue in cheek (I do that a lot,
sorry). Admin and the business model drives retention issues without having
to give the "caring, supportive, encouraging, and empathetic connection".
They really just want their money.

I agree with Chris and that was my point. I already am a parent to two
wonderful little girls and that's as many children as I want. And unless
things have gotten really strange lately, most of my students have two
parents already--and that's as many as they should get.

And, although this may be heretical, I don't actually care about
retention--that's admin's job.

My job is to teach psychology in the best way I can, which I bet will affect
retention in a positive way without me actually caring about it.

I really don't want to, nor can I provide these personal, deep, spiritual
connections with students. That's what boyfriends/girlfriends,
husbands/wives, parents, and the church/greenpeace are for.

And that's why most places have a student life department and all kinds of
campus clubs and groups (and bars).

They also won't get these connections from their bosses at work and we are
also charged, I believe, with preparing them for the real world: making
education relevant to their lives.

I think professors have enough to do. And this is only ONE of the pillars!

Maybe admin should pick up the slack :)

--Mike