I always wrestle with the idea that these statistics may be comparing apples
to oranges, in a way.  It might make more sense to compare the risks of
being in a car crash with the risks of being in a plane crash.  Then compare
what your chances of surviving a car crash are with the chances of your
surviving a plane crash.  I'd estimate that the numbers would look a lot
different.
Beth Benoit
Granite State College
Plymouth State University