I study risk perception. There are several reasons for the differences in
estimates of the danger of driving vs. flying (as many of you already said).
Here is a list:

1) Availability heuristic: deaths by plane get a lot more media attention than
deaths by car. For example, many of the victims of the flight that crashed in
Buffalo were on the cover of the NY Times. Most people don't ever get on the
cover of the NY Times and it is hard to imagine that these people would have
been had their tragic deaths occurred due to car crashes.

2) Evolution: we fear heights more so than driving fast. It just feels more
frightening to hurl through the air even when the outcome is almost always good.

3) Perceived control: people have no control when flying. People in general
feel better about controllable outcomes. Research comparing the risk
perceptions of drivers and passengers show that drivers are more optimistic
about their risk than passengers because they feel they can simply avoid
accidents by driving carefully (which is partly but not entirely true).

4) Dread: a plane crash is a high dread but rare event. Lots of research shows
that people are disproportionately freighted by high dread events.

5) Mysterious technology requiring experts: We tend to be more afraid of
technology or inventions we don't understand. Yes planes have been around for a
long time but it seems almost magical that a huge plane can fly at all. We
certainly have little insight into all the steps that much occur for a plan to
fly and it is easy to imagine that something might go wrong and the plane
crashes. In contrast, steering clear of other cars seems straight forward.

6) Experience: lots of research shows that when we have experience with an
event we judge it as more likely to happen to us. Thus people who have had a
serious experience with car accidents (personal accidents or knowing know
someone who was injured or died in an accident) will rate the risk as greater
than someone who has not had that experience. However, the power of personal
experience tends to fade over time. Thus, our greater personal experience with
the dangers of driving vs. flying is likely overwhelmed by the frequent media
reminders of the dangers of flying (and few media reminders of the dangers of
driving).

I'm sure there are other factors and some of these obviously interact.

Marie

Marie Helweg-Larsen, Ph.D.
Department Chair and Associate Professor of Psychology
Kaufman 168, Dickinson College
Carlisle, PA 17013, office (717) 245-1562, fax (717) 245-1971
http://www.dickinson.edu/departments/psych/helwegm