Hi

It probably does not help that several highly regarded figures in psychology
are cited in support of learning styles, like Sternberg (Thinking Styles, or
Intellectual Styles or Mental Self Government) and Gardner (Multiple
Intelligences).  See:

http://www.learnativity.com/learningstyles.html

or the description of Zhang & Sternberg's (2006) recent book:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=8oIxZhQ7irsC

Further complicating matters, Nisbett and colleagues's work on culture and
cognition would appear compatible with much of the earlier literature on
learning or cognitive styles.  See:

http://web.mit.edu/~sdavies/MacData/afs.course.lockers/6/6.969/OldFiles/www/readings/culture_thought.pdf

Or is the notion of Learning Styles being criticized here distinct from these
perhaps more general efforts?

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
204-774-4134 Fax
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca

>>> Michael Smith <tipsl...@gmail.com> 29-Mar-09 10:15:34 PM >>>
I have been aware for some time that learning styles do not exist (except
perhaps as mentioned: a set of previously learned techniques).

However, it does seem to be part of the culture now (like the Mozart effect)
and it may be too late to turn the tide. Especially since, I have heard many
instances of it being promoted by educators or those selling products (such
as concept diagrams for visual learners). Not that concept diagrams are not
useful, but it seems only "visual learners" can get the most from them by
definition.

I have also had little luck on convincing anyone that learning styles (and
the Mozart effect) do not exist (as they are commonly understood).

Oh well.

--Mike