I think I agree with Ed too!

The textbooks today seem to be in a competition to make every word a
delightful, colorful, visual extravaganza with indestructible binding,
archival ink and acid free waxed pages that will last several lifetimes. OK
I am stretching it.

But it seems, that instead of the classroom experience teaching students how
to extract the main points, how to reorganize the material to make effective
notes, etc., the textbook people are trying to do it for them. And we all
know about feeding someone fish or teaching them how to fish...

Are there good textbooks (well written, up-to-date, etc) that haven't gone
wild with the latest pedagogical devices? Or is it mostly intro books that
suffer from this?

Are there good electronic books (well written, up-to-date, and enable you to
search for terms, click on hyperlinks which take you to different but
related parts of the text, take notes, highlight, etc) that would be good to
use?

At least some textbooks include a CD/DVD with example experiments the
student can run, example neurons the students can fire etc).

It seems to me that an electronic book with those things built right into
the pages (so one could run them if one wants) would be better (and kill
less trees).

In an age where we are encouraged to use multimedia, the web, smart
whiteboards, clicker systems, online course management systems, and even
online courses, why are textbooks still textbooks? Are the publishers
dragging their feet on this one?

--Mike