From: Christopher D. Green [mailto:chri...@yorku.ca]
Sent: Tue 4/14/2009 7:41 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: [tips] [Bowel cancer risk in older women could be reduced by more soya
in diet | Science | The Guardian]

Michael Smith wrote:

> Hmmm.
> But what if you are one of those two?

Then you die (by definition). The problem is you don't know you are one
of those 2 until you are dead. We have to make these decision on the
basis of the probabilities well ahead of time. There are lots of things
that raise our chance of death by a lot more than 2 in 10,000, and we
should worry about them first. Smoking in #1. Smoking raises the chances
of a 65 year old man dying of lung cancer in the following 10 years from
4 in 1000 to 89 in 1000. Now there's some action. This 2 in 10,000 stuff
is mere peanuts in comparison.

I don't have then numbers, but I'll bet you $5 that talking on a cell
phone while driving increases the probability of having a car accident
by a lot more than 2 in 10,000. (According to some research, talking on
a cell phone makes the driver as impaired as drinking over the .08 level.)

Chris Green
York U.
Toronto