Michael Smith wrote:

The question was intended to reflect more of the "If I'm a woman and I have to eat a teaspoon of soy once a week, what the heck", even if the effect was very small since I don't think there are any risk factors for soy consumption (unless maybe you eat tons of it, then there is no doubt risk as with probably everything--including water).

Depends on what else you eat. Lots of vegetarians use soy as a protein source. But it lacks critical nutrients (most notably vitamin B12) that are naturally occurring in meat. B12 deficiency can lead to irreversible damage to the nervous system. One can, of course, take a vitamin supplement if one knows about the risk (but most of the B12 supplements are sourced from meat products).

Of course, as Chris said the actual consumption wasn't reported, but I thought a teaspoon to be reasonable since I didn't believe hardly anyone in the UK would eat soy products; but times are changing I guess.

My impression (I don't have any stats here) is that there are a lot more vegetarians in Britain than in the US (per capita).

I may know that my chances of winning the lottery are 1 in 60 million, but it still doesn't stop me buying the ticket, because the cost is so little and the payoff so big. (I am using "I" and "me" in the universal sense, since of course "I" would never fall prey to any of this).

And, as I tell a rabidly anti-lottery friend of mine, my odds of obtaining that much money from a lottery are orders of magnitude better than those of my actually earning it (even though both are infinitesimal). :-)

Chris
--
Christopher D. Green
Department of Psychology