Hi Michael:

One common concern is that some accounts of behavior may be described as "just so" stories, named after a group of stories by Rudyard Kipling (e.g., "How the lepoard got its spots").

The concern it this: If the behavior is present then the investigator assumes it is there for an evolutionary reason. The investigator then makes an attempt to describe a plausible basis for its existence as a response to some speculative set of selection pressures. Generating hypotheses is just part of the game. The issue is that the hypothesis must be falsifiable just like any other scientific hypothesis. If the hypothesis can't be falsified or otherwise empirically investigated then it becomes a just-so story.

Ken

Michael Britt wrote:

David Buss wrote a very good summary of the main ideas and some of the recent research in the area of evolutionary psychology in the most recent edition of American Psychologist (The Great Struggles of Life, February-March 2009). It's really quite an interesting article and since I've received a number of emails asking me about evolutionary psychology I thought I would discuss the article in an upcoming podcast. In doing this I don't really want to enter into the debate over religion vs. science (though in some ways I guess it's going to be unavoidable). I do, however, want to make sure I understand the concerns/criticisms/uneasiness some people have with this area of psychology. If I understand it right, some people are concerned about this perspective because, for example, even though animals demonstrate a behavior that is in some way similar to what humans do doesn't mean that the reason animals show this behavior (which is probably related to increasing species' survival) is the same reason humans do it. We shouldn't jump to an evolutionary psychology explanation for every behavior we see. Also, even if the behavior can be shown to evolutionary roots, there may be a concern that some people might use this as an "excuse" to continue doing something that we, as intelligent and caring beings, should be able to discipline ourselves not to do. If I understand these two positions correctly then I think these are valid points. Feel free to expand on this if I'm not getting it correctly.

What are some of the other reasons people criticize, or are uncomfortable, with this perspective (aside from the religious issue)?

Thanks,

Michael

Michael Britt
mich...@thepsychfiles.com <mailto:mich...@thepsychfiles.com>