Sometimes common, everyday logic does need to be abandoned, especially if a
strong confirmation bias means failing to consider possible, if less likely,
alternatives.  I doubt that anyone was questioning the fact that the
treatment that Genie received would make any normal child abnormal.
However, if Genie was abnormal to start with treatment like that would make
pre-existing problems difficult to diagnose.  I don't see what is wrong with
considering the possibility that she was abnormal to start with.  In either
case, she would have been damaged by the years of mistreatment.

--
Rick Stevens
Psychology Department