When you don't have to spend money on research or quality control....

On Jun 17, 2009, at 8:17 AM, tay...@sandiego.edu wrote:

I heard about the lawsuits against Zicam years ago and wondered how they were able to stay in business all these years. This article says $12 million. So they MUST be making enough money to pay off the lawsuits and still make a good profit! It amazes me.

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology
University of San Diego
5998 Alcala Park
San Diego, CA 92110
619-260-4006
tay...@sandiego.edu

---- Original message ----
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 08:32:02 -0400
From: "Mike Palij" <m...@nyu.edu>
Subject: [tips] How Homeopathy Harms
To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)" <tips@acsun.frostburg.edu>
Cc: "Mike Palij" <m...@nyu.edu>

Apropos the recent discussion on TiPS about alternative medicine
and giving people the "placebo that they desire", consider the following
article from the NY Times on the FDA's warning against the use of
the homeopathic cold treatment Zicam because of the number of cases
reporting the loss of the ability to smell (anosmia); see:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/17/health/policy/17nasal.html?hp

For a skeptical history of homeopathy, see the following:

http://www.skepdic.com/homeo.html

One good thing that may come from the Zicam situation is that the
U.S. Congress may finally give the FDA the ability to force recalls
(removal from the market) of those nostrums that are often  called
supplements but not drugs (removing them from the jurisdiction of
the FDA) though their selling point is that they have drug-like effects.

-Mike Palij
New York University
m...@nyu.edu

Paul Brandon