OK -- I actually read the article.
Pinker does NOT seem to be propounding a genetic basis for violence.
On the other hand, there's a lot of speculation there.
In particular, using modern hunter-gatherer societies as a proxy for our ancestors presents problems.
These are marginal groups living under marginal and stressed conditions.
In many cases, they have 'culturally devolved' from agriculturalists to hunter/gatherers as a result of being driven off of more productive land into the jungle.

One explanation for the current decrease in violence that has not been raised is that our capability of mass destruction has effectively scared the shit out of us.
Before WWI there was little mass destruction in the current sense.
When the Romans 'decimated' (killed every tenth person) a city, they did it one by one with swords. The gas warfare of WWI, and of course Coventry, Dresden, Tokyo and Hiroshima brought an impersonal element of destruction far beyond starting fires in a city with a balista.

Another small matter:
Pinker talks a good deal about violence prevalence in Europe, but does not compare it with the United States.