If you do, were are some rules based upon an analysis of the information
about 400 Richest People in the United States for 2009 (actually only data
from the top 101 richest people was analyzed; even my OCD has it limits):
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/54/400list08_The-400-Richest-Americans_Rank.html

(1)  Don't get a Ph.D.

Only 4 people out of 101 have a Ph.D. and they are nowhere near
the richest.  36 out of 101 have a B.A. but 15 only have a High
School diploma (some apparently never attended college, others
are college dropouts; NOTE:  Richard Branson, CEO of Virgin
Whatever, who is British and not included in this data apparently
dropped out of high school).

There are 7 people who have indeterminate levels of education.
In some cases, it is possible that some of these did not have formal
schooling (though they may have had tutoring; they may have
inherited the money).

(2) It doesn't really matter whether you complete you education.

There were 12 people who "dropped out" of their educational studies
but the mean net worth of these people is about $15 Billion (Bill
Gates, as the richest man in the world, skews things) while the 83
people who did complete their studies had a mean net worth of
$8.61 Billion.

(3) High School graduates are richest people in the U.S. ??????

Given that most college dropouts can only claim their high school
diplomas as their highest certified level of educational achievement,
people with only a High School diploma have a mean net worth of
$13.64 Billion.  Of the top 101 richest U.S. people, those with a
Bachelor's degree actually have a lower net worth of $7.83 Billion.
People with a Master's degree (usually an MBA) do somewhat
better with a net worth of $10.65 Billion. Folks with a JD or an MD
or a Ph.D. only have a net worth of about $6.75 Billion (yes, less
than a person with a B.A.).

This is so depressing that I'm not going to shave for the next few days.

Anyway, I've attached an SPSS system data file (not an Excel file like
I did earlier) of the data I pulled off of the Forbes website.  I didn't
include the U.S. News ranking of colleges because, quite frankly,
it doesn't seem to be relevant (I'll leave it to some other enterprising
soul to do so).

I'm now going to have a beer and wait for the new episode of "Mad Men"
to air.

-Mike Palij
New York University
m...@nyu.edu