Hi

These lists, especially by themselves, do NOT allow the kinds of inferences
Mike appears to make.  The list looks at (a) a tiny fraction of the relevant
population (100 people or even 400) and (b) ONLY those with enough wealth to be
billionaires.

To illustrate the problem, consider the 4 PhDs on Mike's list (i.e., 4% of 100
billionaires).  Recent statistics, such as

http://www.census.gov/population/socdemo/education/cps2007/Table1-01.csv

indicate that just over 1% of the American adult population has a PhD.  And
presumably this figure would have been even lower in the past.  Hence, PhDs are
actually over-represented on the list of billionaires relative to their numbers
in the general population.  One would need similar and more precise figures to
properly evaluate the role of education.  More precise in the sense of
adjusting for age because it might be less clear than in the case of PhDs what
the historical figures would be.

But even crude data show the dangers of making inferences about HS dropouts
from the 15 on Mike's list of billionaires.  To illustrate, the following table
(if link works!)

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/STTable?_bm=y&-geo_id=01000US&-qr_name=ACS_2007_3YR_G00_S1501&-ds_name=ACS_2007_3YR_G00_&-_lang=en&-_caller=geoselect&-state=st&-format=

shows that in 2007 16% of population 25 and older did not complete HS.  But
this figure increases markedly at highest age levels; a full 27% of those 65
and older did not graduate from HS.  But on Mike's list, only 16% of
billionaires 65 and over did not graduate from HS, far below the proportion in
the general population their age.

Alternatively (unless one is only interested in billionaires rather than more
realistic earnings), the census provides more relevant data, or any number of
other databases.  Here are a few links:

http://nces.ed.gov/surveys/international/Intlindicators/index.asp?SectionNumber=5&SubSectionNumber=1&IndicatorNumber=106

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_income_in_the_United_States#Education_and_Gender

Clearly earnings increase with education, albeit with a few perturbations
largely due to professional degrees.

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
204-774-4134 Fax
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca

>>> "Mike Palij" <m...@nyu.edu> 30-Aug-09 5:20:55 PM >>>
If you do, were are some rules based upon an analysis of the information
about 400 Richest People in the United States for 2009 (actually only data
from the top 101 richest people was analyzed; even my OCD has it limits):
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/54/400list08_The-400-Richest-Americans_Rank.html

(1)  Don't get a Ph.D.

Only 4 people out of 101 have a Ph.D. and they are nowhere near
the richest.  36 out of 101 have a B.A. but 15 only have a High
School diploma (some apparently never attended college, others
are college dropouts; NOTE:  Richard Branson, CEO of Virgin
Whatever, who is British and not included in this data apparently
dropped out of high school).

There are 7 people who have indeterminate levels of education.
In some cases, it is possible that some of these did not have formal
schooling (though they may have had tutoring; they may have
inherited the money).

(2) It doesn't really matter whether you complete you education.

There were 12 people who "dropped out" of their educational studies
but the mean net worth of these people is about $15 Billion (Bill
Gates, as the richest man in the world, skews things) while the 83
people who did complete their studies had a mean net worth of
$8.61 Billion.

(3) High School graduates are richest people in the U.S. ??????

Given that most college dropouts can only claim their high school
diplomas as their highest certified level of educational achievement,
people with only a High School diploma have a mean net worth of
$13.64 Billion.  Of the top 101 richest U.S. people, those with a
Bachelor's degree actually have a lower net worth of $7.83 Billion.
People with a Master's degree (usually an MBA) do somewhat
better with a net worth of $10.65 Billion. Folks with a JD or an MD
or a Ph.D. only have a net worth of about $6.75 Billion (yes, less
than a person with a B.A.).

This is so depressing that I'm not going to shave for the next few days.

Anyway, I've attached an SPSS system data file (not an Excel file like
I did earlier) of the data I pulled off of the Forbes website.  I didn't
include the U.S. News ranking of colleges because, quite frankly,
it doesn't seem to be relevant (I'll leave it to some other enterprising
soul to do so).

I'm now going to have a beer and wait for the new episode of "Mad Men"
to air.

-Mike Palij
New York University
m...@nyu.edu