Oh! and Allen wrote an extended response too.

The issue about references I was making would be with regard to the
entire sum of people involved with psychology (researchers and
teachers). Not the tiny percentage who subscribe to TIPS which may not
be a representative sample, and as you noted

>Of course it is very time-consuming to read
> sometimes lengthy articles and opposing articles, and no doubt TIPSters
> only do so if they have a specific interest in the topic in question,
> but this is inevitably the case with busy people.

Exactly the point. So that even with TIPSTERS it will often happen
that they don't read the papers represented by the references but
rather rely on the reference itself (and the reputation of the lab
that produced it).

--Mike