Hello Beth

Yes, social psychology in the real world! I hope some people with more
experience with kinship selection replies to this. It's my understanding that
kinship selection "works" with fairly close relatives, whose genetics are more
similar than randomly chosen individuals. In s nutshell, we increase fitness by
being altruistic to genetic relatives, even if it hurts us as individuals.
Hamilton's rule is r*B > C where B = benefit to others, B = cost to us, and r =
genetic relatedness to others. Hence the quip "I'd lay down my life for two
brothers or eight cousins". Our genes benefit, through relatives, even if the
individual carrying them does not.

Bernie Madoff's Jewish associates were probably not direct relatives, so it may
just be a case of taking advantage of people he was already in contact with.
But, it is still an interesting question because members of an Orthodox
religious community can be close (I assume his was). So you'd imagine his
victims would be predominantly outside that group, which was not the case.

I just checked Wikipedia and they mention 'spiteful' acts, when you do a
harmful act to others AND yourself, but his situation doesn't fit that either,
since he benefited from the harm he inflicted. I think spiteful acts can
increase your fitness if you hurt rivals more than yourself - like murdering a
spouse or torching your own land to deprive rivals of your resources.

Though, didn't he put assets in his family's names to protect it??? If so, his
relatives would be benefited while he himself suffers the consequences. I think
there were recent court rulings about who controls the stolen assets.

John W. Kulig
Professor of Psychology
Plymouth State University
Plymouth NH 03264