I believe that Pat Bateson called this sneaky behavior "mate-stealing," or "kleptogamy" (as opposed to monogamy, polygyny, polyandry, etc.). There is another common term for it in the animal behavior world, but I can't use it on a public listserv....;-)

In some species, males "grow out" of this sneaking strategy as they get older and larger. In others, there appear to be multiple mating strategies (i.e., sneaking, territory-holding, a few others) that appear to have genetic components in that given physical and behavioral phenotypes are maintained by the same individuals throughout their lifetimes.

-Kathy Morgan
Wheaton College
Norton, MA  02766
kmor...@wheatonma.edu