I recently challenged TIPSters to provide the name for a scientific concept.
The
phenomenon is that subordinate males can gain access to females for copulation
while
the alpha males are competing with each other.  What do we call these sneaky
f*ckers
and their opportunistic strategy?

I said it was easy but I was devious, sneaky even,  hiding the answer in plain
sight. So no
one aced the question. Beth Benoit suggested "sneak and rape", and "sneakers",
which is
part of the way there.  Tim Shearon advanced "sneaky copulations" and "sneaks",
which
is also close, but the former is euphemistic for the real term.

And I think Kathy Morgan actually knows the word I´m looking for, but being a
modest and
polite person, she sensibly declined to state it.

So here it is, gentle readers. The scientific term for those sneaky f*ckers
is...
 "sneaky f*ckers", and the strategy is the "sneaky f*cker strategy".

Yes. Believe me.  And I must thank Hugh Foley for first pointing out this
refreshingly
candid and accurate term to me, one that is taboo in polite company.  The term
does
appear in a number of academic publications. One example is a report by Guth
and Guth
(1998) on baboon fights, where they say, "Of course, j(.) [a mathematical
function] may be
identically 0 if there are no kin relationships...or no opportunities for
"sneaky f*ckers" (p.
4).

But who originated it? One frequent nomination is the great evolutionary
biologist John
Maynard Smith, and indeed Steven Rose, the activist British biologist told me
(personal
communication) that he had heard Maynard Smith use the term in a lecture and
was
"pretty sure" it was somewhere in his papers. But I could not find it there.
Another name
sometimes mentioned is Tim Clutton-Brock, a high-profile British biologist who
studied
roaring contests among alpha male red deer. He observed the phenomenon, but I
could
not find a paper where he used this term to describe it.

So my nomination is neither of these people but the famous (or infamous, take
your pick)
Richard Dawkins (with J.R. Krebs). Notorious as an aggressive atheist and a
dedicated
evolutionist, it is not a stretch to imagine Dawkins as a daring potty-mouth
academic as
well. Dawkins and Krebs (1978) provide the earliest mention of this term that I
can find in
print. They do so in describing Clutton-Brock´s work, noting that in roaring
contests of red
deer stags,"Escalated contests are rare...because subordinate males, known as
sneaky
f*ckers, may steal matings during a prolonged fight (p. 294)."  Perhaps they
got it from
Maynard Smith. But unless someone can come up with an earlier cite, I think
Dawkins
and Krebs must be provisionally credited with originating it.

It makes its first audacious appearance in a chapter in the first edition of a
textbook of
behavioural ecology but seems to have been bowdlerised from the later 1993
edition,
which is a pity. I recommend that everyone teaching evolutionary psychology
make sure
to discuss the concept and to utter the term which dares not speak its name.
That oughta
make those little f*ckers sit up and pay attention.

Note: I used the * form of the word throughout, not from prudish concern but to
avoid
naughty-word filters. The authors whose use I cited made no such compromise.

Stephen

Guth, S., & Guth, W. (1998). Male fights of Hamadryas baboons. _Journal of
Theoretical
Biology_, 190, 1-14.

Dawkins, R. & Krebs, J. (1978). Animal signals: information or manipulation?
In: J.r. Krebs
& N.B. Davies (eds), _Behavioural Ecology: an Evolutionary Approach, Blackwell
Scientific, pp. 282-309.

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University