A curious article in the in Washington Post about how Colleges,
as we currently know them with buildings and campuses, may
be gone in 10 to 20 years as online courses serve as inexpensive
alternatives; see:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/11/AR2009091104312_pf.html

Yes, we've heard similar arguments in the past but the concept
that there are "redundancies" in the higher education system
(e.g., how many versions of an intro course out there? why
not get top instructors, video their lectures and provide
appropriate web-based support and then make this course
available for credit anywhere?) and an "efficient market"
will reduce or eliminate these redundancies (i.e., tenured
faculty).

That reminds me, how many of you use the MIT online
courseware?  See:
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/home/home/index.htm
and
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Brain-and-Cognitive-Sciences/index.htm