���On 19 September 2009 Stephen Black wrote on Frances Cobbe's remarkably
modern account (1867) of how false memories occur:
>Having a fascination with firsts, I wonder whether this is
>the earliest that anyone has described these concepts.
>My own quick Google search turned up nothing to dispute
>this conclusion, although it is not an easy topic for a
>search. Perhaps Freud could be credited with a particular
>form of it in his (1897? 1906?) contention that his patients
>confabulated stories of "seduction" [rape] by an adult, which
>he belatedly claimed were merely fantasies. (Someone
>named Esterson (2001) takes exception to how Freud tells
>this story, BTW).

Stephen cites the following (small correction made!
 )
>Esterson, A. (2001). The mythologizing of psychoanalytic
>history: Deception and self-deception in Freud´s accounts of the
>seduction theory episode. History of Psychiatry, 12, 329-352.

On the issue of "firsts", it was Frank Cioffi in a BBC Radio 3
broadcast in 1973 who first pointed out the numerous discrepancies in
Freud's ever-changing accounts of the "seduction theory" episode
(article published in The Listener, 7 February 1974 under the title
"Was Freud a Liar?"). As Cioffi argued, "Freud did not base his
seduction theory on stories of infantile seduction related by his
patients. In any case, his patients did not tell him any fictitious
seduction stories."

The subtitle of my artic
 le cited by Stephen indicates my view that that
although self-deception along the lines suggested by Cobbe (how "liars
come to believe their own lies") played a significant role in Freud's
road to the traditional story, there is abundant evidence that he also
practised deliberate deception to conceal the truth about his supposed
clinical "findings" proclaimed in 1896 as the solution to the aetiology
of hysteria and obsessional neurosis. My article could well have been
subtitled "How he got away with it"!:
http://www.esterson.org/Mythologizing_psychoanalytic_history.htm

A caveat to Stephen's comments. He indicates that in that Freud's
retrospective explanation of the 1896 sexual abuse claims the term
"seduc
 tion" was equivalent to "rape". This needs amplification. Misled
by Jeffrey Masson's tendentious accounts, many people think that
Freud's 1896 clinical claims were about incest. In fact rape scarcely
figured in the seduction theory papers, and fathers not at all. All
Freud's theory required was some kind of sexual excitation in early
childhood, and it would better have been described as the "sexual
molestation" theory. In his final accounts of the episode Freud used
the term "seduction" without specifying what he meant, and since by
then he had implicated fathers (to accord with his Oedipal theory), it
has often been interpreted to mean rape.

Reference
Cioffi, F. (1998 [1974]). "Was Freud a=2
 0Liar?"  In *Freud and the
Question of Pseudoscience*, Open Court.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
http://www.esterson.org

[tips] History of false memory concept (Was: Darwin on animal
experimentation)
sblack

Sat, 19 Sep 2009
Allen Esterson wrote, in drawing attention to an exchange of
letters between Darwin and the Irish feminist Frances Cobbe:

> My knowledge of Cobbe previously did not extend beyond her
> perspicacious remarks on memory, which rebutted the contemporary idea
> of memory and also provided an explanation for false memories:

Allen cited her work "The Fallacies of memory" (1867) as
 the
source of her comments on memory as reprinted in _Embodied
Selves_,1998) [Googling suggests the essay may have first
appeared a year earlier].

Cobbe's comments ("memory a finger marked traced on shifting
sand") appear remarkably prescient of modern research on
false memory and its malleability, which started, as far as I
know, in the early 1990's with Elizabeth Loftus, and with the
founding of the False Memory Syndrome Foundation.

Having a fascination with firsts, I wonder whether this is the
earliest that anyone has described these concepts. My own
quick Google search turned up nothing to dispute this
conclusion, although it is not an easy topic for a search.
Perhaps Freud could be credited with 20a particular form of it in
his (1897? 1906?) contention that his patients confabulated
stories of "seduction" [rape] by an adult, which he belatedly
claimed were merely fantasies. (Someone named Esterson
(2001) takes exception to how Freud tells this story, BTW).
However,  Cobbe's treatment of false memory is more general
and more compatible with current scientific knowledge, and still
beats Freud by around 30 years.

Anyone have anything earlier?

Stephen

Esterson, A. (2001). The mythologizing of psychoanalytic theory:
Deception and self-deception in Freud´s accounts of the
seduction theory episode. History of Psychiatry, 12, 329-352.

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop'
 s University
 e-mail:  sbl...@ubishops.ca
2600 College St.
Sherbrooke QC  J1M 1Z7

[tips] Darwin on animal experimentation

Allen Esterson
Sat, 19 Sep 2009
TIPSters may be interested in a public exchange of letters between
Darwin and the Irish feminist Frances Power Cobbe on animal
experimentation that I've just chanced upon:
http://timesonline.typepad.com/timesarchive/2009/02/video-ben-macin.html
(Hold down left hand side of your mouse and drag to see complete
letter.)

My knowledge of Cobbe previously did not extend beyond her
perspicacious remarks on memory, which rebutted the contemporary idea
of memory and also provided an explanation for false memo
 ries:

Memory is for ever likened by poets and rhetoricians to an engraved
tablet, treasured in the recesses of mind, and liable only to
obliteration by the slow abrasion of time, or the dissolving heat of
madness. We venture to affirm that such a simile is not in the remotest
degree applicable to the real phenomena of the case, and that memory is
neither an impression made, once for all, like an engraving on a
tablet, nor yet safe for an hour from obliteration or modification,
after being formed. Rather is memory a finger mark traced on shifting
sand, ever exposed to obliteration when left unrenewed; and if renewed,
then modified, and made, not the same, but a fresh and different mark.
[…]

Again, by this theory of memory, we obtain an available hypothesis, to
account for the notorious but marvellous fact, that liars come in time
to believe their own falsehoods. The warping of the original trace of
the story, albeit voluntary and conscious, has, equally with
unconscious dereliction, effected the end of obliterating the primary
mark, and substituting a false one, which has assumed the place of a
remembrance. Without conscious falsehood, the same thing happens also
occasionally when we realize strongly by imagination some circumstance
which never happened, or happened to another person…

Frances Power Cobbe, “The Fallacies of Memory” (1867)
(Embodied Selves: An Anthology of Psychologic
 al Texts, pp. 151-152,
OUP, 1998)