I thought William James would have had something to say about this so I
accessed Chris Green's copy of Principles of Psychology that he kindly placed
online so when we are at home we have easy access.

In discussing memory formation, here is a quotation from Fechner from his
Psychophysik: "They show that profound rearrangements and slow settlings into a
new equilibrinm are going on in the neural substance and they form the
transition to that more peculiar and proper phenomenon of memory of which the
rest of this chapter must treat."

This is then followed by a long discussion of work cited by Richet in L'Homme
et L'Intelligence which also sounds much like the sentiments expressed by
Cobbe. I don't have any of the dates of publication handy for these works.

James' chapter is my favorite to introduce in the cognitive course because it
is prescient of much of what we know today. Anyway, we are looking at a little
later with Fechner and Richet in the later 1800s but maybe they cite earlier
works?

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology