On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 06:08:03 -0700, MichaelBritt wrote:
>I'm noodling with an idea and I was wondering if anyone in tips
>land can help. Do you recall any research studies involving food
>in any way?

A couple of points:

(1)  There seems to be a growing literature on false memory
and food, possibly prompted by the Scientific American Frontiers
episode where Beth Loftus induced in Alan Alda the false memory
of having been made sick as child from eating eggs; see:
http://www.pbs.org/saf/1402/segments/1401-4.htm
and
http://www.psychologicalscience.org/observer/getArticle.cfm?id=1785

A search of PsycInfo produces the following hits/articles and I have to
admit loving the title of the first one:

Laney, C., Morris, E. K., Bernstein, D. M., Wakefield, B. M., & Loftus, E. F.
(2008). Asparagus, a love story: Healthier eating could be just a false memory
away. Experimental Psychology, 55(5), 291-300.
doi:10.1027/1618-3169.55.5.291

Bernstein, D. M., & Loftus, E. F. (2009). The consequences of false memories
for food preferences and choices. Perspectives on Psychological Science, 4(2),
135-139. doi:10.1111/j.1745-6924.2009.01113.x

Geraerts, E., Bernstein, D. M., Merckelbach, H., Linders, C., Raymaekers, L.,
& Loftus, E. F. (2008). Lasting false beliefs and their behavioral
consequences.
Psychological Science, 19(8), 749-753. doi:10.1111/j.1467-9280.2008.02151.x

Laney, C., Kaasa, S. O., Morris, E. K., Berkowitz, S. R., Bernstein, D. M., &
Loftus, E. F. (2008). The red herring technique: A methodological response to
the problem of demand characteristics. Psychological Research/Psychologische
Forschung, 72(4), 362-375. doi:10.1007/s00426-007-0122-6

Scoboria, A., Mazzoni, G., & Jarry, J. L. (2008). Suggesting childhood food
illness results in reduced eating behavior. Acta Psychologica, 128(2), 304-309.
doi:10.1016/j.actpsy.2008.03.002

Klaczynski, P. A. (2008). There's something about obesity: Culture, contagion,
rationality, and children's responses to drinks "created" by obese children.
Journal
of Experimental Child Psychology, 99(1), 58-74. doi:10.1016/j.jecp.2007.08.005

Bernstein, D. M., Laney, C., Morris, E. K., & Loftus, E. F. (2005). False
memories
about food can lead to food avoidance. Social Cognition, 23(1), 11-34.
doi:10.1521/soco.23.1.11.59195

Ferraro, F. R., & Olson, L. (2003). False memories in individuals at risk for
developing an eating disorder. Journal of Psychology: Interdisciplinary and
Applied,
137(5), 476-482.

(2)  I haven't seen anyone mention Alexandra "Lexa" Logue yet so I'll give her
a plug.  Rumored to be B.F. Skinner's last graduate student, her research area
has been on self-control and specifically on eating and drinking.  Lexa joined
the
faculty at Stony Brook while I was there as a graduate student and I had only
a "Hi, how are ya" in the psych building halls type of relationship. She has
gone
on to become somewhat well known and even has her own website:
http://www.awlogue.com/about_author.htm

Part of her fame comes from being the author of the book "The Psychology of
Eating and Drinking", currently in its third edition; see:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0415950090/qid=1093404257/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-7093605-9460050?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
or
http://tinyurl.com/y9yba2u

Lexa went into university administration (as detailed in her bio on her
website) and
is currently some upper level muckity-muck admin with a ridiculuously long title
(at least it was last I checked) at the "Central Office" of the City University
of
New York (CUNY).  In addtion to her writings I am pretty sure that she has
taught courses on the psychology of eating and drinking.  She is an experimental
psychologist and may be able to provide info on how she has taught it or give
other pointer.  I would say use my name if you do contact her but I doubt that
she remembers who I am.

-Mike Palij
New York University
m...@nyu.edu