Michael - there is alot out there. Do you have a new direction for the research
or are you looking for already established lines? My next big project will be
in the areas of food/religion/culture. Just a few random thoughts. Food intake
& weight are not kept within homeostatic limits (unlike Water and temperature
levels), as if we inherited the rule "eat when food is available" because who
knows when the next famine is. Some cultures/religions have dietary guidelines
and some do not, and research indicates a strong association between obesity
and religion. Lowest levels of obesity among Jews and Mormons, and highest
usually among US Southern Baptists. Pinpointing the precise links between the
religions and obesity could be a challenge, and "religion" and "dietary laws"
have lots of parts and alot of covariates.

I think that once you get beyond the usual food/psych topics, there are many
unexplored areas. Have you read Michael Pollin's books (omnivores dilemma / In
defense of food?. Might be fun someday to examine the omnivores dilemma (too
many choices for an omnivore in an individualistic cultur). Lots of unexplored
areas.

John W. Kulig
Professor of Psychology
Plymouth State University