There is an interesting article in the NY Times on how the
CDC and other health agencies will try to deal with public
perceptions that H1N1/Swine Flu vaccine may have been
the cause of certain medical conditions after a person
has received the vaccine.  See:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/28/health/policy/28vaccine.html?_r=1&th&emc=th

It seems to me that two key factors are being used:

(1) Information about the baserate of medical conditions
in general (i.e., how often should we expect something
like a miscarriage to occur).

(2) Emphasizing that the conditional probability the
development of a medical condition (such as a miscarriage)
after getting vaccine is the same as the conditional
probability of developing the medical condition after
not getting the vaccine. That is,

Prob(miscarriage|vaccine shot) = Prob(miscarriage|no vaccine shot)

Technically, I think, there should be a group of women who
receive a placebo vaccine instead of the population baserate
of women having a miscarriage which I believe that the CDC
will use [i.e., Prob(miscarriages)].

The problem of dealing with people's illusory perception of
correlation and causation is a hard one though a significant amount
of research has been done on this topic.  Lance Rips has written
a review of this area that some might find interesting (it is a chapter
from Adler & Rips' [eds.] book "Reasoning"); see:

http://mental.psych.northwestern.edu/publications/causality_v15.pdf

-Mike Palij
New York University
m...@nyu.edu