The NY Times reports on a new hybrid "media platform"
that replaces traditional books with the capabilities to provide
electronic text, pictures, videos, and sound/music: the Vook.
For more, see:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/01/books/01book.html?_r=1&th&emc=th

Quoting from the article:

|Some publishers say this kind of multimedia hybrid is necessary
|to lure modern readers who crave something different. But reading
|experts question whether fiddling with the parameters of books
|ultimately degrades the act of reading.
|
|“There is no question that these new media are going to be superb
|at engaging and interesting the reader,” said Maryanne Wolf, a
|professor of child development at Tufts University and author of
|“Proust and the Squid: The Story and Science of the Reading Brain.”
|But, she added, “Can you any longer read Henry James or George Eliot?
|Do you have the patience?”

I wonder.  How long before we have the first David Myers' Vookie
textbook?

-Mike Palij
New York University
m...@nyu.edu