Tried them last year; that was it. We had eclicker and I had nothing but
problems with them. Support was not great. They tried, sort of...to help. But
most of the time students were frustrated, I was frustrated. It was a mess. We
were told that we could use the software with macs but that was a disaster so I
switched to PC and still have problems with ppt freezing up right on the
incorporated questions. They admitted they were still developing the mac
interface between eclickers and ppt.

In theory it sounded great and sometimes when it worked like it was supposed to
it was great; most of the time it did not work like it was supposed to. And
never working right with mac platform.

I like using colored index cards. That way, people who have different colors
can discuss amongst themselves and convince each other of the answer and then
we can talk about it.

With clickers students couldn't just look around and find someone with a
different answer.

Yeah, the students got to see answers right away; yeah, I could make up
questions on the fly but overall I found that using them added a lot of time to
class--slowed me down significantly in ways that did not add to pedagogy. Yeah,
at first the students liked them until the technical problems got annoying.

I'm back to colored index cards. Cost me less than $5 for the whole class to
have 4 different colored cards glued to popsicle sticks. Instead of over $50
for the clickers, each!

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology