From: Jeffrey Nagelbush [nagel...@hotmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, October 18, 2009 4:00 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: [tips] Appropriate Self-description

A colleague had a question that I had no real answer to because I really did
not know my own opinion so I thought I would ask this group for input.

An adjunct in our department, who is finishing his Ph.D., puts, as part of his
signature, Professor of Psychology. He, of course, does not have the rank of
any type of professor since he is an adjunct. Is his use of professor a misuse
or is it just a generic term for any of us who teach at universities?

If he applies to other places which may have tenure-track positions and he uses
this signature file, is he misleading these places?

Finally, if you believe that his use of professor is inappropriate, should we
inform him of this.

One last point. We are very happy with him and, when he finishes his degree, we
would be very interested in hiring him on a tenure-track line if we ever get
one in this miserable economy.