I did this terrible thing. Back in pre-historic times I had a faculty position
when I was ABD. I was doing research that was of interest to the media and was
invited to appear on a TV show. They wanted to call me Dr. Scott but I had not
yet received my Ph.D. Being ethical, I told them they could not call me Dr.
Scott. They wanted to call me something authoritative so they suggested
"professor" which I agreed to seeing as I was officially full-time on the
faculty at the university. I did the show and it was somewhat popular. I later
found out that a number of senior faculty at the university were quite unhappy
with the title given to me by the TV network. It never led to a problem with
promotion with those folks though. I would suggest that these things are
trivial. The students call him professor. He is doing the job of professor. If
someone at the grocery store asks him what he does, he will be a better
communicator if he describes himself as a prof at so-and-so University rather
than as an adjunct visiting instructor at so-and-so. There are places where the
title is important and others where "professor" is truly appropriate even if
not officially sanctioned. i would agree that he should not present himself as
a professor at your insitution when searching for jobs, but his
self-description as professor in other domains seems perfectly reasonable.

Bill Scott