Hi

Talk about religion and universities without "debate?"  Good luck! :)  See:

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-90845928.html

Anyway, there apparently are some issues in the American situation about
separation of church and state.  I looked for stuff on "invocation," since
convocation is where prayer is normally expected and accepted in institutions,
including universities.  Seems that some universities are moving away from
prayer even for convocations.  See:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/07/AR2009040704634.html

http://www.secularstudents.org/node/2610

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2228789/posts

http://www.queensu.ca/secretariat/senate/hondegre.html

You might start with what your practice is at Valdosta for convocation, and see
if anything has been articulated.

The general sense appears to be that there is more latitude in universities
about prayer than in lower level schools, although whether there is anything
coercive about participation seems to be a factor.  See:

http://pewforum.org/events/?EventID=141

It gets even trickier when cultures are involved, as in some Canadian (and
perhaps American) universities with a high representation of Native Canadians
(American Indians) and perhaps incorporating special programs to be inclusive
and respectful of their culture. The province of Manitoba has a northern
university where it appears to be the practice to begin Board of Governors
meetings with a prayer led by an Elder.

I did find some "policies" for universities, although some of them appear to
finesse the problem by leaving it to the group holding the event, which I guess
is tacit approval.

http://appl003.ocs.lsu.edu/ups.nsf/4d8b193f0753c7e48625714000672ba4/5BBBC0FAF0E791BF86256C250062AE8B/$File/ps62Rev00.pdf

http://www.acaffairs.ed.ac.uk/Committees/Senate/Meetings/200304/20031210/PaperA1-Prayers.pdf

My gut feeling is that opening up more meetings and events to prayer will make
it even more likely that some sort of protest will ensue, either from those not
satisfied with the narrowness of the prayers (always subject to interpretation)
or those opposed to any religous ceremony in university life.

I guess another issue is how uncomfortable some people attending these events
will feel?  That at least should be an easily answered empirical question.

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
204-774-4134 Fax
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca

>>> Deborah S Briihl <dbri...@valdosta.edu> 22-Oct-09 5:41:59 PM >>>
Hi - Sorry for the non teaching question, but I'm in a bind here.
I'm not looking for any kind of debate here (please don't start one),
but I serve on a committee at VSU that has been requested to develop a
policy or recommendation on prayer on campus (yeah, yeah - I know some
of you have a joke in mind). Anyway, the idea is to discuss the
appropriateness of it at events that you might not expect it and may
feel required to attend (such as Student Government or Honor's ceremony
dinner). We are having difficulty finding one. If somebody at a public
university has such a policy - could you send it to me backchannel
(dbri...@valdosta.edu)? Thanks.

Deb

Dr. Deborah S. Briihl
Dept. of Psychology and Counseling