Here at Yukon College, prayers are an integral part of any official
ceremony. As the College is located on Traditional Territory of local
First Nations, a First Nation elder is always asked to say the prayer.
It is usually recognized that people have different faiths, and so we
are asked to thank whatever force in our lives we find significant. And
as most of the prayers are uttered in languages that only a few hundred
people still understand, we are really left to be grateful in any way we
desire.

I believe it is important to not be restrictive or exclusive to one
faith only, as this is very disrespectful. I am an atheist, and actually
enjoy the ceremonies, knowing that I can be thankful in my own way,
without anyone shoving a God in my mouth... I feel included in an open
ceremony.

Some elders thank Jesus, others the Creator, others life in general...
Anything goes, the expectation being that we take a moment to recognize
the good around us.

First Nation People are good at being inclusive (here anyways). I like
that.

Happy prayers to whatever makes you tick!

Jean-Marc