Paul C Bernhardt wrote:

This policy could be a problem at many schools, including
ours, that use a text alert system in case of a lock-down or
other emergency, you have to assure the students (I put it in
the syllabus, also) that you will have your phone in the class
in case an emergency message is sent. I take out my phone each
class and put it on the desk in plain view. If my phone
buzzes/lights up I glance at it to see what the message is.

There has been an amusing (to someone on the sidelines) turn of events at ASU. Various faculty groups have been working on a cell-phone policy for a number of years regarding issues of consequences for failure to turn off a cell phone during class.

Then ASU rolled out a bally-hooed text alert system that tried to enroll all people on campus following the Virginia Tech tragedy.

Currently we have the two groups in conflict. The former group wants cell phones turned off in class. The latter group wants cell phones turned on in class so that students can receive an alert.

The proposed policies now read like credit-card agreements, with enough loopholes and escape clauses, that any action is simultaneously approved and disapproved.

Ken

Kenneth M. Steele, Ph.D.                  steel...@appstate.edu
Professor
Department of Psychology          http://www.psych.appstate.edu