Beth,

My phone does do the text messaging beep even with the incoming call alert
turned off. I've done this in my class. I've explained to  them that cell phone
use is disruptive of the classroom functioning (which is forbidden in the
student handbook) and that they lose points if they use their phone during
class. So that we can still receive the University emergency alerts, I leave my
phone on. I've told them if it rings during class for anything other than an
emergency alert, everyone in class gets a few extra credit points. I've only
had to dock one student and I've had to award the extra credit twice (once when
my cell company sent me a text ad and once today when my son texted just to say
hi).

Larry

Larry Z. Daily
Associate Professor of Psychology