From: Michael Smith [mailto:tipsl...@gmail.com]
Sent: Mon 11/2/2009 2:14 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: Re: [tips] Can anyone call him/herself a psychotherapist?

I think it's probably true in canada as well.

I know of one "hypnotherapist" in toronto who has a B.A. in psych.
I know of several who have an Med.
And I have known one who had no official qualification whatsoever but
who had read a lot about dream interpretation and ran a counselling
service.

--Mike

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 9:24 AM, Paul Brandon <paul.bran...@mnsu.edu> wrote:

> This would be a matter of state law; as far as I know your statement is
> correct for Minnesota.
> On Nov 2, 2009, at 8:03 AM, Paul Okami wrote:
>
> My understanding is that in the UK, Canada, and the USA, anyone can call him
> or herself a "therapist" or "psychotherapist" and practice, as long as that
> person does not claim to be licensed, use the word "psychologist" or
> "Doctor" and so forth.  I'm virtually positive this was true at one time,
> and various web sites claim that it is true, but recently someone challenged
> this statement and told me that at least in some states the law requires
> anyone claiming to be a therapist to be licensed.
>
> Does anyone know about this with some measure of certainty?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul Okami
>
> Paul Brandon
> Emeritus Professor of Psychology
> Minnesota State University, Mankato
> paul.bran...@mnsu.edu
>
> ---
> To make changes to your subscription contact:
>
> Bill Southerly (bsouthe...@frostburg.edu)

<<winmail.dat>>