My understanding is that in the UK, Canada, and the USA, anyone can call him or
herself a "therapist" or "psychotherapist" and practice, as long as that person
does not claim to be licensed, use the word "psychologist" or "Doctor" and so
forth.  I'm virtually positive this was true at one time, and various web sites
claim that it is true, but recently someone challenged this statement and told
me that at least in some states the law requires anyone claiming to be a
therapist to be licensed.

Does anyone know about this with some measure of certainty?

Thanks,
Paul Okami