I have a student in my honors intro course who just lives by the Secret.

I tried to tell her that it was a ridiculous premise (I may have even called it
that, yes, my very bad--I just get so upset over highly capable students who
swallow this stuff without thinking it through).

Although there are probably some good parts to the whole premise of positive
thinking, etc. there are many aspects that are very negative and very confusing.

I went on line to find her some readings that do a more critical analysis but
failed to find anything substantial other than blogs. I have the piece by
Michael Shermer in scientific american but nothing else that would be more
substantial and making a critical analysis.

Do any of you have any suggestions?

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology