Make Palij wrote:

"The reason for this appeared to be that students could drop a course without
consequence up to the 12th or so week in the semester.  So, students who saw
that they were failing going in the final weeks could drop the course with
their G.P.A. unaffected."
---------------------------------------

If this were true, and was the reason for grade inflation at that institution,
then we should have nothing to worry about. The students were still receiving
accurate grades and credit for courses in which competent work had been
completed. However, I doubt that the grade inflation disappeared after that
loophole was closed. It sounds like a rationalization invented to explain the
source of the inflation as something other than a reduction of standards. When
I presented clear evidence of grade inflation to my institution, the response
was "students are better now than they were then, therefore deserving of higher
grades". I had to point out that the SAT scores had declined somewhat over the
time period involved.

Bill Scott