Jim raised an interesting point for me -
"Another relevant point may be the consequences of the "disappearing males" for
grades in university at least (although factors leading to their
"disappearance" could have impact prior to university).  Females tend to be
more conscientious (e.g., studying) and demonstrate other desirable academic
qualities  moreso than males.  If these factors influence grades, then would it
again not be expected that larger proportion of females (and perhaps foreign
students, re the article that stimulated this discussion?) could produce higher
grades?  Overall, statistics in Canada indicate about 2/3rds of university
students are female."

We just started admitting men. It did seem to me that while we were a womens'
college that I did not experience many of the problems that you all talked
about at your coed institutions. We have been wondering how much that will
change with our transition. For the first time I am seeing some of the issues
about classroom etiquette that I have read about from you all. I don't have any
firm impressions about grades at this point, but in a few years I should be
able to look at changes in grade averages in my own courses.

Dennis
Dennis M. Goff
Charles A. Dana Professor of Psychology
Department of Psychology
Randolph College (Founded as Randolph-Macon Woman's College in 1891)
Lynchburg VA 24503