If Tipsters are similar to the general U.S. population (a somewhat
questionable assumption) then about 48% of them have made
New Year's Resolutions.  As many of you are porbably well aware,
the failure rate for achieving those resolutions is notoriously high
(I believe John Norcross has done some research on this point).
Nonetheless, to help those who have made resolutions and will
attempt to achieve them, Time magazine provides some hints on
how to do so with some that actually appear to be based on
psychological research.  See:

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1950511,00.html

As an example, consider the following quote on how to moderate
one's behavior:

|Successful moderators decide in advance how much is "too much" —
|and stick to their limit, no matter what. Have a cookie a day, if that's
|what you've deemed acceptable. But if you "cheat" by having "just
|one more," know that you are only cheating yourself and exacerbating
|the problem, experts say. The point is to learn how to hold yourself
|accountable.

I'll let Tips on to one of my resolutions:

To post more substantive message to Tips with as much relevance to
teaching as possible though also items of news that may be of general
scientific, cultural,  and artistic interest in contrast to messages like:

"LOL!  Who cares?"

Good luck in your resolutions.

-Mike Palij
New York University