Over the years, I've used the *Taking Sides *readers for various courses.  I
love the concept, like many of the articles, find some a little vague for
their purported purpose, but overall, do appreciate the diversity of opinion
offered for whatever course I'm teaching.  My problem though, is that I
don't feel I'm incorporating it within my course as well as I might be.

Here are some things I've tried:
1.  Having students do a discussion in a debate forum.  That was generally a
waste.  They tended to take the topic and run with it with their *own *opinions
on the topic.  And of course, most read only the article they had to
present.
2.  Having students write brief summaries of specific topic forums.  That
turned out to be a lot of work for me, and I didn't feel they got full use
of the book, as they probably read only what they were required to read for
the paper they had to write.
3.  Hoping the students will read the assigned articles so they can be
discussed in class.  Well, emphasis is on the word "hoping," for a guess
about how well that worked.

I'm going to try again this coming term in my Human Sexuality class, with
Wm. Taverner's *Taking Sides:  **Clashing Views on Controversial Issues in
Human Sexuality.*  My goal is to open  students' minds a bit more on the
topics I cover in Human Sexuality, and of course make it worth their while
that they had to buy a second book for the course.

Has anything worked for any of you?  Or do any of you have any suggestions?

Many thanks,
Beth Benoit
Granite State College
Plymouth State University