From: "Beth Benoit" <beth.ben...@gmail.com>
To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)" <tips@acsun.frostburg.edu>
Sent: Sunday, January 3, 2010 10:46:52 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [tips] Using "Taking Sides"

Over the years, I've used the Taking Sides readers for various courses. I love
the concept, like many of the articles, find some a little vague for their
purported purpose, but overall, do appreciate the diversity of opinion offered
for whatever course I'm teaching. My problem though, is that I don't feel I'm
incorporating it within my course as well as I might be.

Here are some things I've tried:
1. Having students do a discussion in a debate forum. That was generally a
waste. They tended to take the topic and run with it with their own opinions on
the topic. And of course, most read only the article they had to present.
2. Having students write brief summaries of specific topic forums. That turned
out to be a lot of work for me, and I didn't feel they got full use of the
book, as they probably read only what they were required to read for the paper
they had to write.
3. Hoping the students will read the assigned articles so they can be discussed
in class. Well, emphasis is on the word "hoping," for a guess about how well
that worked.

I'm going to try again this coming term in my Human Sexuality class, with Wm.
Taverner's Taking Sides: Clashing Views on Controversial Issues in Human
Sexuality. My goal is to open students' minds a bit more on the topics I cover
in Human Sexuality, and of course make it worth their while that they had to
buy a second book for the course.

Has anything worked for any of you? Or do any of you have any suggestions?

Many thanks,
Beth Benoit
Granite State College
Plymouth State University