Sounds like the old performance/mastery distinction. I ran across this as a
TA in grad school working for a prof who deals with learning strategies and
the whole "learning to learn" issue. She (the prof) cooridinates about 16
sections of a learning to learn course and routinely finds this type of
distinction in the students.

I wonder if anyone has looked at changes over time in the breakdown between
the two categories.  I get the impression that more and more people with
the performance (goal) orientation are entering college than in the past.
Which in some ways makes sense... common sense now says that in order to
get a good job you have to go to college.  Perhaps this is one of those
necessary but not sufficient common sense sayings. Going to college is
necessary, but not sufficient for getting a good job....

Stuck at home and heavily medicated...
- Marc

G. Marc Turner, MEd
Department of Psychology